The day North Korea conquered Seoul – level 3
After World War II, the Korean peninsula was divided into a Soviet zone in the north and an American zone in the south. The border was the 38th parallel. Neither side accepted the border as permanent, and both wanted to control the whole peninsula.
On June 25, 1950, an army of 175,000 soldiers crossed the border from North Korea. South Korea had fewer than a hundred thousand less armed soldiers. South Korea was unable to resist the attack, and on June 28, North Korean troops armed with Soviet tanks entered the capital, Seoul.
South Korean troops were then pushed to the far south of the country. They managed to defend this last piece of land with the great support of the Americans. Then, the counterattack started, and on September 25, Seoul was freed.
Then, the Americans pushed the opponents to the mountains in the north close to the border with China. The Chinese army was waiting at the border and soon entered the war. Seoul was lost again. Then, the Americans pushed the Chinese back.
The war was 3 years long. On July 27, 1953, both sides agreed to stop fighting and restore the original border along the 38th parallel.
Difficult words: peninsula (a piece of land with sea on three sides), parallel (a horizontal line on a map of the Earth), neither (not one), armed (having weapons), resist (to be against something and stop it).
What was the major factor that allowed South Korea to mount a successful counterattack against North Korea?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.