The day Mount Vesuvius destroyed Pompeii – level 3
Mount Vesuvius is a volcano in Italy. In 79, Pompeii was a wealthy city located near the volcano. Almost 20 thousand inhabitants lived there.
On August 24, Mount Vesuvius exploded. The explosion was huge. A mixture of hot gas and other volcanic material poured from the volcano and quickly rushed to Pompeii.
Pompeii was flooded with a 5-meter layer of volcanic material. Many people and animals were buried under it. People who managed to escape in time had nowhere to return.
The city was forgotten over time. It was discovered again in 1592. The city was so well preserved that it became a paradise for historians. Thanks to a great level of preservation, we can learn a lot about life in the time of the Roman Empire 2,000 years ago.
Difficult words: inhabitant (a person that lives in a particular place), layer (a substance that covers a surface of something), bury (to cover with a layer of something), paradise (a perfect place).
What do you think about this day?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.