The day Mount Vesuvius destroyed Pompeii – level 2
Mount Vesuvius is a volcano in Italy. In 79, Pompeii was a rich city located near the volcano. 20 thousand people lived there.
On August 24, Mount Vesuvius exploded. The explosion was very big. A mixture of hot gas and other volcanic material from the volcano went to Pompeii.
Pompeii was covered by 5 meters of volcanic material. Many people and animals were buried under it. People who were able to run away in time had no home where they could return.
The city was forgotten over time. It was discovered again in 1592. The city was so well preserved that it became a paradise for historians. Thanks to the great preservation, we can learn a lot about life in the time of the Roman Empire 2,000 years ago.
What do we know today about everyday life in Pompeii before the eruption of Mount Vesuvius?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.