The day Mount Vesuvius destroyed Pompeii – level 1
Mount Vesuvius is a volcano in Italy. In 79, Pompeii is a city near the volcano. It is a rich city. 20 thousand people live there.
On August 24, Mount Vesuvius explodes. The explosion is very big. A lot of volcanic material from the volcano goes to Pompeii.
The volcanic material hides Pompeii. The volcanic material is 5 meters high. Many people and animals die under it.
Some people run away in time. They can’t go back home. Their houses are under the volcanic material.
After some time, people forget about the city. People discover Pompeii again in 1592. The city is well preserved. It is very good for historians. They have a lot of information about life in the time of the Roman Empire 2,000 years ago.
Difficult words: explode (to change quickly into many small pieces), volcanic (from a volcano), hide (to put in a place where people can’t see it), forget (to not remember), preserved (protected and not changed).
What caused the eruption of Mount Vesuvius in 79AD?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.