The day Mount St. Helens erupts – level 1
Mount St. Helens is a volcano. It is in the US. It erupts in March 1980. It is one of the biggest disasters in US history.
Small earthquakes happen near Mount St. Helens before the eruption. Scientists worry. They think that the volcano will erupt. People must not come close to the volcano. It is very dangerous.
A big earthquake happens on May 18. It happens below the volcano. A part of the volcano starts to move. It moves very fast.
Hot gas and lava come out from the volcano. The volcano erupts. About 600 square kilometers of forest burn. 57 people die. The eruption destroys 200 houses.
Difficult words: disaster (when something very bad happens), eruption (when a volcano becomes active), lava (very got rock which flows out from a volcano).
What do you think about this day?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.