The day John Lennon was murdered – level 2
John Lennon is a famous singer and songwriter from the Beatles. In 1980, he lives in New York, US. A 25-year-old man arrives from Hawaii, US, to meet Lennon. The man has mental health problems. He buys Lennon’s latest album and wants to get his signature.
The man waits for Lennon for 10 days. They finally meet on December 8 in the afternoon. They meet in front of Lennon’s house in New York where Lennon signs the album for the man.
Six hours later, the man returns to the same place. He is waiting for Lennon again. When Lennon comes home at 11 p.m., a voice calls to him from the darkness. Before Lennon is able to turn around, he is hit by 5 bullets. He dies in a few minutes.
At that moment, the story of one of the greatest legends of all time ends. After the murder, the murderer sits quietly on the sidewalk. He is reading a book and he is waiting for the police to arrive. The murderer gets a life sentence.
Difficult words: mental health (how your brain affects how you act), darkness (a place where it is dark), murder (the crime when one person kills another), murderer (someone who murders another person), sidewalk (a way at the side of a street for people who want to walk), sentence (a punishment for somebody who is guilty of a crime).
What motivated the murderer to come back and shoot John Lennon 6 hours after they met?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.