The day John Lennon was murdered – level 1
John Lennon is a famous singer and songwriter from the Beatles. In 1980, he lives in New York, US.
A 25-year-old man comes from Hawaii, US, to New York. He wants to meet Lennon. The man is mentally ill. He buys Lennon’s album and he wants to get his signature.
The man is waiting for Lennon for 10 days. They meet on December 8 in the afternoon. They meet in front of Lennon’s house in New York where Lennon signs the album for the man.
Six hours later, the man comes back to the same place. He waits for Lennon again. Lennon comes home at 11 p.m.
The man shoots Lennon in the back. He shoots 5 bullets. John Lennon dies.
At that moment, the story of a big legend ends. After the murder, the man sits quietly on the sidewalk. He is reading a book. He is waiting for the police.
The man goes to prison for all his life.
Difficult words: mentally ill (the situation when your brain is sick and you act strangely), signature (the way you write your name on a paper), sign (to write your signature), murder (the crime when one person kills another person), sidewalk (a place on the side of a street for people to walk).
What do you think about this day?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.