The day Joan of Arc won in Orléans – level 2
It’s the beginning of the 15th century. In France, there is a war between France and England. The English go from victory to victory. They control northern France, including Paris.
Orléans is an important town south of Paris. The English want to get control over Orléans. They are already near the town.
King of France, Charles VII, knows that he must defend Orléans. If Charles loses the town, all of France will fall to the English.
At that time, Charles is visited by Joan of Arc. Joan is a sixteen-year-old girl who grew up in a French village. She can’t read or write, but she sees angels. They told her that she could lead the French army and win the war.
Charles believes the young girl. He gives her a weapon and a horse and sends her to Orléans. People of Orléans welcome her as their savior. They believe that she was chosen by God to save France.
Joan has a strong belief in victory. The French soldiers start to believe too and they win. On May 7, 1429, the town is free. Joan becomes a national heroine.
What do you think about this day?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.