The day Israeli people in Uganda were freed – level 2
On June 27, 1976, a plane flew from Athens to Paris. There were 248 passengers on board. Many of them were from Israel. There were also four hijackers on board. They took control of the plane. They told the pilots to fly to Libya.
From Libya, the plane flew to Uganda. In Uganda, the hijackers put the passengers into a big hall at the airport. The hijackers asked Israel to free 53 pro-Palestinian fighters from prison.
Israel tried to resolve the situation through diplomacy, but it wasn’t successful. Then, Israel decided to free the passengers by military action.
Israel sent 4 big military planes to Uganda. The operation took place at night. At the start, the first plane landed at Uganda airport. 3 big cars drove out of the plane. 29 Israeli soldiers were in these cars. They went to the hall where the passengers were kept.
The airport was protected by Ugandan soldiers. The shooting started. Then, the 3 other Israeli planes with 200 soldiers landed. There were too many people for the Ugandan soldiers.
The Israeli soldiers freed the passengers and took them back to Israel. The whole operation was 53 minutes long.
What do you think is the most remarkable aspect of this dramatic rescue operation?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.