The day HIV was discovered – level 2
In 1981, doctors found that five men from Los Angeles had a rare skin disease. It wasn’t possible to heal this disease. The men were all homosexuals and they were on drugs.
Doctors discovered that people gave the disease to other people during sex. The disease was named AIDS. On April 23, 1984, doctors said that AIDS was caused by a virus called HIV.
Later, scientists discovered that HIV was a mutated virus that people got from African monkeys. The scientists thought that the virus came from monkeys to monkey hunters sometime in the first half of the 20th century. Then, tourists who went to Africa brought it to America. However, people aren’t sure if this theory is really true. There is still speculation about the exact origin of the disease.
32 million people already died of HIV in the world.
What do you think about this day?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.