The day Hitler survived an assassination attempt – level 3
In the summer of 1944, Hitler was at war with most of the world. Big armies stood against him, and Germany was gradually losing the war.
Some people in Germany realized that the war was coming to an end. They wanted to end the war. However, first, they had to get rid of Hitler.
One of these people was Claus Schenk von Stauffenberg. He was 37 years old, and he originally agreed with Hitler’s ideas. However, everything changed when he saw people suffering in the war. He was also badly wounded in Africa. He lost his eye, his right hand, and two fingers on his left hand.
Despite all that, Stauffenberg remained in the army. He had access to meetings held by Hitler.
On July 20, 1944, he hid a bomb into his briefcase and managed to bring it to a meeting where Hitler was also present. He put the briefcase under the table near Hitler. Some minutes later, he excused himself and left the room.
After his exit, another army officer pushed the briefcase behind a heavy conference table leg. Then an explosion came.
The explosion was very big. Stauffenberg was sure everyone in the room was dead. Only 4 people died. Hitler wasn’t among them. He suffered only minor injuries because the heavy table leg had protected him from the blast.
What decision did Stauffenberg come to after witnessing the suffering caused by the war?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.