The day Hitler attacked the Soviet Union – level 3
On June 22, 1941, German planes dropped the first bombs on Soviet cities and military positions. Then 3 million German soldiers entered Soviet territory.
The Germans wanted to conquer the Soviet Union in three key places. In the north, the main target was the city of Leningrad; in the middle it was Moscow; and in the south, the Germans wanted to reach the oil fields at the Caspian Sea.
In the beginning, the Germans advanced very quickly. However, later they encountered increasing resistance from the Red Army, and their advance stopped. For some time, the Germans controlled a big part of Russia, but they failed to conquer both Leningrad and Moscow. They didn’t reach the oil fields near the Caspian Sea, either.
In 1943, the situation started to change, and it was the Red Army who started conquering land previously held by the Germans. The German had to retreat more and more. The Red Army continued its advance, and in May 1945, the Russians conquered Berlin.
Difficult words: conquer (to get control by fighting), encounter (to experience), retreat (to move away from the enemy because you are losing).
What do you think about this day?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.