The day gambling was legalized in Las Vegas – level 1
Las Vegas is a small town in 1930. Las Vegas is in Nevada. It is in the middle of the desert. There are only rocks and stones around it.
In 1931, people start to build a dam near Las Vegas. Many workers come to Nevada to work on the dam. They are far away from their families and they need to have some fun. This is a chance for Las Vegas which is only 48 kilometers away.
Las Vegas is a place where gambling and prostitution are normal.
The US government decides to build a completely new town for the workers near the dam. The government wants to keep the workers from these bad things. The workers still want fun. Las Vegas is full of fun.
Help also comes from Nevada’s government. On March 19, 1931, Nevada’s government says that gambling is legal.
The first official casinos are open in the city. The number of visitors starts to go up. Workers from the dam and also people from other parts of the USA start to come to Las Vegas to have fun. People build more restaurants and hotels for these new visitors.
Today, Las Vegas is a big city. 40 million people visit Las Vegas every year.
What are other ways that the Nevada government has provided support to the growth of Las Vegas?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.