The day four pirates attacked a big ship – level 1
In 2009, four Somali pirates attack a US ship. It happens 440 km southeast of Somalia. The attack is on April 8, 2009.
The US ship is carrying food for Somalia and Uganda. There are 23 people on board the ship.
The pirates board the ship. They try to take control over the ship, but they aren’t successful.
Later, the pirates leave the ship on a small boat, but they take the captain as a prisoner.
After some time, US ships arrive. They try to negotiate with the pirates.
The negotiations aren’t successful. Then, the US soldiers kill three of the pirates. They put the fourth pirate in prison.
The captain is safe. The other people from the ship are safe too.
Difficult words: board (to get on a ship), negotiate (to try to find an agreement).
What actions did the US take to ensure the safe return of the captain and crew?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.