The day Fidel Castro took control over Cuba – level 3
In 1956, after attacks from the Cuban government’s army, revolutionary Fidel Castro finds himself with only 19 men in the mountains. From this moment, he begins his journey to power.
At the beginning, he and his men launch attacks on small groups of the Cuban army to obtain weapons.
Gradually, Castro convinces more and more people around him of his truth and they start to believe in a better future.
The number of people who take part in the attacks on the government soldiers grows until it becomes a mass uprising and the president of Cuba, Fulgencio Batista, has to flee the country.
On January 2, 1959, revolutionaries occupy the largest cities without a fight. People are happy but no one knows what will follow.
On January 9, 1959, and Fidel Castro comes to Havana, Cuba, with men who until now have fought somewhere in the mountains. From now on, they will rule Cuba.
A totalitarian government of one party is established. It brings times of executions, censorship, and extreme economic experiments.
Hundreds of thousands of people flee by boat towards the American shores, which are only 150 kilometres away.
Difficult words: revolutionary (a person who supports a revolution, a large change in a country), launch (start), mass uprising (a large rebellion), flee (to run away), totalitarian (a government that has all the control), established (started), execution (when somebody is killed as a legal punishment).
Who are the 19 men who helped to overthrow the Cuban government in 1959?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.