The day Fidel Castro took control over Cuba – level 2
In 1956, after attacks from the Cuban government’s army, revolutionary Fidel Castro finds himself with only 19 men in the mountains. From this moment, he begins his journey to power.
At the beginning, he and his men attack small groups of the Cuban army. They attack them because they need their weapons.
Castro speaks to people about his vision. More and more people start to believe him. They start to believe in a better future.
The number of people who attack the government soldiers grow. One day, there are so many attacks that a revolution starts. The president of Cuba, Fulgencio Batista, has to run away from the country.
On January 2, 1959, people take control over the largest cities without a fight. People are happy but nobody knows what will follow.
On January 9, 1959, and Fidel Castro comes to Havana, Cuba, with his men. From this moment, they will control Cuba.
A government of one party starts. It brings times of executions, censorship, and strange economic experiments.
Hundreds of thousands of people run away on boats to the USA, which is only 150 kilometres away.
Difficult words: revolutionary (a person who supports a revolution, a big change in a country), follow (to come next), party (a political group), execution (when somebody is killed because they did something very bad).
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.