The day Disneyland was opened – level 2
On July 17, 1955, Disneyland opened for the first time in California.
The park was built in just one year, and it cost $17 million.
Unfortunately, the opening day was full of difficult moments.
28,000 people came to see the opening, but only about half of them were invited. The others bought fake tickets.
The traffic was so heavy that many visitors had to wait in their cars for hours. There were too many people in the park that some restaurants ran out of food and drink.
The weather was very hot with a temperature of 38°C.
Water fountains weren’t working well because some workers went on strike.
This was a dark day for the park and its staff, who worked so hard to create a magical experience for visitors.
After the problems of the opening day, Walt Disney invited all guests again for a second day for free. It helped to ease some of the frustration and disappointment which was felt by visitors.
Despite all the difficulties of the first day, the park was a success, and it quickly became popular.
Difficult words: fake (not real), strike (time when workers don’t work because they are not happy with the pay), ease (to make better), despite (used when we want to say that something happened when there were things which could stop it).
What strategies did Walt Disney employ to ensure the long-term success of Disneyland after the difficult opening day?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.