The day Deepwater Horizon sank – level 1
Deepwater Horizon is a modern rig. The rig takes oil from the ground under the sea in the Gulf of Mexico.
On April 20, 2010, there is a lot of methane on the rig. An explosion comes. There is a big fire after the explosion. People can see the fire from 40 kilometers.
Eleven workers die during the explosion. Other people are injured. The rig is evacuated. The injured workers go to hospital.
36 hours after the explosion, Deepwater Horizon goes underwater. It is on April22, 2010.
There is one big problem. The hole in the ground under the sea is still open. Oil is coming out of the hole. People try to close the hole. It is not possible. A lot of oil is coming from the hole for many days. The oil is in the sea and on the beaches of the United States.
Many days later, on July 15, people close the hole. It is too late. The oil kills many animal in the sea and on the beaches.
Difficult words: rig (a machine which takes oil from the ground under the sea), methane (a gas which people use for cooking), injured (when your body is broken), still (when something continues and it is the same).
What do you think about this day?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.