The day communists took control over Russia – level 2
On November 7, 1917, Bolsheviks in Saint Petersburg are preparing an attack on the Winter Palace, the main building of the government of Russia. The palace isn’t very well protected. When the Bolsheviks attack, there is a short fight, but the defenders give up quickly.
The members of the government are put in prison by the Bolsheviks. The Bolsheviks also occupy other key buildings in Saint Petersburg. Now they control the main communication lines in the city.
Soon the Red Terror starts in Russia. Thousands of people from the opposition are arrested and killed. At the same time, the civil war begins, in which the Bolsheviks fight the opposition.
The Bolsheviks win in 1920. At the end of the civil war, Russia is in a bad economic situation and chaos. There are 8 million people dead. That’s four times more than the number of Russians who died during World War I.
Difficult words: Bolshevik (somebody from the communist party in Russia in 1917), give up (to stop an activity), occupy (to take control over something), Red Terror (political terror and killings done by the Bolsheviks), civil war (a war between two groups of people in one country).
What do you think about this day?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.