The day Columbus discovered America – level 3
It is the summer of 1492, and three small ships are preparing for a journey across the ocean in the Spanish port of Palos. There are 100 men on board and they are commanded by Christopher Columbus.
This experienced sailor claims that the Earth is round, and therefore Asia, which is of strategic commercial importance to Europe, can be reached when sailing west across the Atlantic Ocean.
No one on board has any idea that Columbus’s main calculation is wrong and that the journey to Asia is three times longer than Columbus thinks.
It’s October 7 and the expedition has been at sea for 29 days without seeing any land. Yet on that day, crew members also see flocks of birds in the sky. At that moment, Columbus changes the course and follows the birds.
Five days later, on October 12, 1492, the land finally appears on the horizon. Columbus lands in today’s Bahamas. During the exploration of the island, he meets locals and he calls them Indians, as he thinks that he has arrived in Asia.
What do you think about this day?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.