The day Chilean miners were rescued – level 2
On August 5, 33 Chilean miners became trapped underground after an accident at a mine in Chile. They were in a small, dark area with limited food, water, and oxygen.
The Chilean government quickly started a big rescue operation. For the next 17 days, rescuers tried to find the trapped miners. They found them on August 22. They were 670 meters underground. From that moment on, the rescuers were sending them food and water through an 8 cm hole.
Experts started to work on a plan to safely pull out the miners. They made a bigger hole through the rock. They also made a special box in which the miners could be transported one by one to safety.
On October 13, after 69 days, the world could see the miners who were pulled out from underground. The miners could meet their happy family members, friends, and rescuers.
What inspired the Chilean government to implement such an extensive and successful rescue mission?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.