The day Chilean miners were rescued – level 1
On August 5, an accident happens in a mine in Chile. 33 miners must stay underground. They can’t go outside because the roof of the mine is down. The miners must stay in a small and dark room. They don’t have a lot of food and water. They must wait.
People want to rescue the miners. First, they must find the miners. It is very difficult, but after 17 days, people find the minors. The miners are 670 meters underground. From that moment, people are sending food and water through an 8 cm hole.
People start to work on a plan for how to take the miners from underground. People make a bigger hole through the rock. They also make a special box. People transport the miners up in this special box.
On October 13, after 69 days, the miners are safe. They can meet their families and friends.
What challenges did rescuers have to overcome to save the miners successfully?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.