The day an atomic bomb was dropped on Hiroshima – level 3
By the summer of 1945, the war in Europe was over. However, in the Pacific Ocean, the Japanese were still fighting and didn’t want to surrender. During the battles of the islands in the Pacific, the Japanese fought against the American dominance almost to the last man. The Americans were scared by the idea of the losses that would come in an invasion of the main Japanese islands.
In this situation, the Americans were looking for another way to end the war: they wanted to develop and use an atomic bomb.
In July 1945, the production of the first bomb was completed. The first test explosion was made in the New Mexico desert. The results were very good.
On August 6, 1945, a bomb was dropped on Hiroshima, Japan. The blast destroyed the city center and 70,000 people died immediately.
On August 9, the Americans dropped a second atomic bomb on the city of Nagasaki. Finally, on August 15, Japan surrendered. The worst war in human history was definitely over.
Difficult words: surrender (to say officially that you want to stop fighting), dominance (the fact of being more powerful), blast (an explosion).
What do you think about this day?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.