The day Al Capone went to prison – level 3
Al Capone was an American gangster and businessman who controlled a big part of Chicago during the Prohibition era.
He had under his thumb the police, politicians, lawyers, journalists, and also judges. He intimidated those who couldn’t be bought. Those who couldn’t be intimidated died.
Al Capone built his main business on alcohol smuggling. He was always able to secure a good alibi, and potential witnesses mysteriously began to lose memory.
However, the federal authorities found a way how to get him to prison. They hired a spy whose goal was to find out something illegal in Al Capone’s activities. In the end, he was successful.
The spy gathered evidence of 22 cases when Al Capone didn’t pay taxes. The judge didn’t let Al Capone bribe him this time. Al Capone was sentenced to 11 years in prison. It wasn’t for murder but for tax evasion.
On May 4, 1932, he was imprisoned in Atlanta. From there, he continued to run his gang and receive visitors.
After some time, he was taken to Alcatraz. There he became the most guarded prisoner, and he was completely isolated from the outside world.
Difficult words: prohibition (when people can’t make and sell alcohol; a time when something is not allowed),under his thumb (when someone has other people in his control), intimidate (to scare people so much that they do what you want), smuggle (to take something illegally to another country), alibi (something that shows that you couldn’t commit a crime), spy (a secret agent), gather (to collect), bribe (to illegally give somebody money to get something from them), sentence (to send to prison), evasion (when you don’t pay what you should pay, when you don’t do what you should do), Alcatraz (a famous prison in the USA).
What do you think about this day?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.