The day Al Capone went to prison – level 2
Al Capone was an American gangster and businessman. He controlled a big part of Chicago during the Prohibition era.
He controlled the police, politicians, lawyers, journalists, and also judges. People who were against him were killed.
Al Capone made his money on illegal business with alcohol. He had always a good alibi and he couldn’t be arrested.
Then, people from the government found a way how to get him to prison. They hired a spy who found out that Al Capone didn’t pay all his taxes. Al Capone was sent to prison for 11 years. It wasn’t for killing people but for not paying taxes.
On May 4, 1932, he went to prison in Atlanta. From the prison, he continued to control his business.
After some time, he was taken to Alcatraz. There he became the most guarded prisoner, and he was completely isolated from the outside world.
Difficult words: prohibition (when people can’t make and sell alcohol), alibi (something which shows that you didn’t do an illegal thing), hire (to give a job to somebody), spy (a secret agent), find out (to get information), Alcatraz (a famous prison in the USA).
What do you think about this day?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.