The day Abraham Lincoln was shot – level 3
Abraham Lincoln was a president in turbulent times. During his presidency, there was a brutal civil war between Americans from the northern states and Americans from the southern states. The South wanted to keep slavery. However, the war was eventually won by Lincoln-led North. After that, Lincoln abolished slavery in the United States.
Some people didn’t like the abolition of slavery. One of the supporters of slavery was a famous actor from a theater in Washington, DC, where Lincoln liked to go. His name was John Wilkes Booth and he hated Lincoln.
On April 14, 1865, the president was sitting in his theater box with his wife and two friends. There was a comedy playing in the theater, and Lincoln was having a good time.
At one point, Booth came to the box. No one found it strange. After all, he was a famous actor who could possibly have an appointment with the president.
Booth waited for a funny moment when the audience would laughing. When the funny moment came, he shot the president in the head. Then he ran out through the back door and escaped on his horse.
Lincoln was seriously injured and died the next morning. The killer was caught 12 days later.
What do you think about this day?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.