The day a private spaceship flew to space – level 2
X Prize was a space competition that started in 1995. The competition was for teams who wanted to build a private spaceship that could take three people and fly two times 100 kilometers high. 100 kilometers above the sea is a place where outer space starts.
Twenty-six teams from around the world tried to win the prize. The prize was $10 million.
The first flight took place on September 29, 2004. The name of the spaceship was SpaceShipOne. The second flight took place on October 4, 2004.
As a result, $10 million was given to the winner, but more than $100 million was invested in new technologies during the competition.
Difficult words: prize (a thing or money which you get when you win), competition (a moment when one person wants to be better than the other), spaceship (a plane which can fly in space), invest (to spend money on a business or a company).
What do you think about this day?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.