The day World War I started – level 3
In 1914, countries in Europe were divided into two coalitions. On one side, there were Germany, Austria-Hungary, and Italy. On the other side, there were France, Russia, and Britain.
Germany had the most powerful economy and the most modern army in Europe. However, unlike other great powers, it had almost no colonies. The Germans felt there was a chance for change.
On July 28, 1914, a future Austrian king was killed in Sarajevo. Austria started to prepare for a war with Serbia. However, Serbia was backed by Russia. The great powers began to mobilize and declared war on each other in August 1914.
Millions of soldiers across Europe went to war. The war was fought on many fronts in Europe, but it also spread to the colonies. Japan and the United States also joined the war.
The war didn’t end until November 1918, killing about 10 million people.
What do you think about this day?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.