The day World War I started – level 2
In 1914, countries in Europe were in two groups. Germany, Austria-Hungary, and Italy formed one group. France, Russia, and Britain formed the second group.
Germany had the most powerful economy and the most modern army in Europe, but it didn’t have a lot of colonies. The Germans wanted to change it.
On July 28, 1914, a future Austrian king was killed in Sarajevo. Austria started to prepare for a war with Serbia. However, Serbia was backed by Russia. A big war started in Europe between the two groups.
The war also spread to the colonies. Japan and the United States also joined the war.
The war ended in November 1918. Almost 10 million people died in the war.
Difficult words: however (but), back (to support somebody), spread (to go to other places), join (to be active in something).
What do you think about this day?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.