The day the Watergate scandal started – level 1
It is Saturday, June 17, 1972. We are in Washington. We are in the offices of the Democratic Party. Five men visit the offices at night. The men aren’t from the Democratic Party. They are from the Republican Party.
A security guard calls the police. The police come. The police take the five men to the police station.
An investigation starts. The police get information that President Richard Nixon is connected to the five men. It is a big scandal.
President Nixon must resign. He resigns in August 1974. It is the first resignation of an American president in history.
Difficult words: guard (a person who protects a place), investigation (a moment when the police ask questions), resign (to officially say that you are leaving your job).
What do you think about this day?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.