The day the serum arrived at Nome – level 1
Nome is a city in Alaska. In January 1925, the city has a big problem. People are dying because they are ill. They need serum. It is difficult to transport the serum to Nome. Nome is isolated from the rest of the world. The weather is very bad. Snow is everywhere. No plane can fly to Nome.
People only have one option. They must transport the serum by dog sled.
The journey is 1,000 km long. It goes through dangerous places. The temperature is under −40 °C.
People and dogs transport the serum in teams. Each team travels 50 km. Then it gives the serum to the next team.
The serum arrives in Nome on February 2, 1925. The serum saves many lives.
What strategies were used to ensure the serum arrived safely in Nome?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.