The day the Brooklyn Bridge opened – level 1
On May 24, 1883, the Brooklyn Bridge opens. The bridge connects Manhattan and Brooklyn in New York.
The construction of the bridge starts in 1869. It takes 14 years.
The construction of the bridge is difficult. Workers must make two big holes in the ground for two big towers.
Twenty-seven workers lose their lives during the construction.
The Brooklyn Bridge is 25 meters wide. It is 1833 meters long.
Difficult words: construction (the process of building a house or a bridge), tower (a very tall building).
What factors contributed to the extended amount of time it took to complete the construction of the Brooklyn Bridge?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.