The day of the Norway attacks – level 3
Anders Breivik was a 32-year-old Norwegian who hated Muslims. The number of Muslim immigrants in Norway was rising at the beginning of the 21st century. Breivik decided to do something about it. He decided to take revenge on the political party that allowed their immigration. He was working purposefully on his plan for nine years.
He had a gun license, so he bought his weapons legally. He also planned to build a giant bomb. He bought the chemicals over the Internet and rented a farm where he put his bomb together.
On July 22, 2011, Breivik got into a van and set off for the capital, Oslo. He had about 950 kilograms of explosives in the van. He parked in front of the building where the office of the Prime Minister was.
The bomb exploded in 9 minutes. Eight people died on the spot, and more than 200 were injured. Meanwhile, Breivik was already on his way to the island of Utoya, which was located in the middle of a lake.
When Breivik arrived at the lake, he got transported to the island in disguise as a police officer. There were about 600 people at the summer camp on the island. The camp was organized by the leading political party.
Soon, Breivik started shooting at all the people. He killed 69 of them, mostly teenagers.
Difficult words: take revenge (to hurt somebody who hurt you before), allow (to let something happen), set off for (to start to go somewhere), in disguise (wearing clothes that change your appearance so that people can’t recognize you).
What do you think about this day?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.