The day of the Live Aid concert – level 2
In 1984, Irish singer Bob Geldof saw a shocking report on television. It was from the African state of Ethiopia which showed very hungry people. Geldof wanted to help the people in Ethiopia. He recorded a very successful song “Do They Know It’s Christmas?”
The song earned £8 million for Ethiopia, but it wasn’t enough for Geldof. He started preparing a mega concert. He invited the most famous singers, and on July 13, 1985, the biggest TV concert started.
Stars such as Phil Collins, Paul McCartney, Madonna, Tina Turner, and Queen played there. The concert took place in two stadiums, first in London, and then in Philadelphia. The two concerts were attended by 160,000 people and almost 2 billion people watched them on TV. There were 59 pop music stars who played their songs.
The concerts earned £50 million for people in Ethiopia.
What other initiatives did Bob Geldof take to help those in need?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.