The day of the first US presidential election – level 3
The very first US presidential election was the only election that was stretched over two years. It lasted from December 15, 1788, to January 10, 1789. It took so long because the communication between states was very slow. There was no telephone and no telegraph in 1788.
George Washington was extremely popular at that time. He was a successful commander in the War of Independence which the US won. There was nobody who could oppose him in the election.
In 1788, there were only 10 states which took part in the election. 69 representatives from these states were chosen to elect the president. All 69 voted for George Washington. He became the first president of the United States.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.