The day of the first solo balloon flight around the world – level 2
On January 8, 1996, Steve Fossett took off from South Dakota with his balloon for his first attempt, but his journey ended in only three days. He tried to fly around the world three more times, but he always failed.
On March 20, 1999, Bertrand Picard and Brian Jones were able to fly nonstop around the world in a balloon. Their journey was 20 days long.
Steve Fossett said that he wanted to be the first person who could do the same as a single pilot. His fifth attempt failed again because he didn’t have enough oxygen, and he had to stop his journey in Brazil.
In 2002, the sixth attempt came and this attempt was successful. He completed his journey on July 2, 2002, in Australia. The landing was very difficult, but Fossett survived it, like many of his earlier adventures.
What do you think about this day?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.