The day Machu Picchu was discovered – level 2
Around 1450, the Incas built a city high in the Andes, in Peru. The city was built 2400 meters above the sea. About 750 people lived there. However, after about 100 years, the people left the city.
In 1908, the American traveler Hiram Bingham visited Peru. There he discovered the ancient Inca civilization. He wanted to know more about this civilization, and he returned to Peru in 1911. A local farmer told him about an old city in the mountains.
The next day, on July 24, 1911, the farmer took Bingham up high into the mountains.
At the end of a long journey up, a beautiful view appeared in front of Bingham. He saw the remains of the ancient Inca city. The place was named Machu Picchu.
What do you think about this day?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.