The day an atomic bomb was dropped on Hiroshima – level 2
In May 1945, the war in Europe was over. However, in the Pacific Ocean, the Japanese were still fighting and didn’t want to surrender. The Americans were stronger, but the Japanese were very brave. They were ready to fight to the last man.
In this situation, the Americans didn’t want to invade the main Japanese island. They were afraid of too many losses. The Americans wanted to find another way to end the war; they wanted to develop and use an atomic bomb.
In July 1945, the production of the first bomb was completed. The first test explosion was made in the New Mexico desert. The results were very good.
On August 6, 1945, a bomb was dropped on Hiroshima, Japan. The explosion destroyed the city center and 70,000 people died immediately.
On August 9, the Americans dropped a second atomic bomb on the city of Nagasaki. Finally, on August 15, Japan surrendered. The worst war in human history was definitely over.
What do you think were the implications of using atomic bombs to end the war?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.