The day an atomic bomb was dropped on Hiroshima – level 1
It is May 1945. The war in Europe ends. Then the war continues in the Pacific Ocean.
Japan is fighting the United States. The Americans are stronger. The Japanese are very brave. The Japanese are ready to fight to the last man.
The Americans want to end the war quickly. They want to end the war with an atomic bomb.
In July 1945, the work on an atomic bomb is finished. The first test is in New Mexico. The test is successful.
It is August 6, 1945. The Americans drop an atomic bomb on Hiroshima, Japan. The explosion is very big. 70,000 people die.
On August 9, the Americans drop a second atomic bomb on Nagasaki. After the second bomb, Japan wants to end the war. The war ends on August 15, 1945.
Difficult words: brave (strong wand with no fear), successful (very good), drop (to let something fall).
What do you think about this day?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.