The day the Titanic sank – level 3
It took 73 years before the wreck of the Titanic was found at the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean in September 1985. In its time, the Titanic was the largest, most modern, and most luxurious ship in the world. It was allegedly an unsinkable ship.
The first and last voyage of the Titanic, from the British Southampton to New York, turned into a nightmare. Yet, it was a tragedy that didn’t have to happen.
It was at 23:39 pm on April 14, 1912, when a patrol in a crow’s nest saw a huge iceberg right in front of the ship. The ship turned sharply to the left and crashed into a huge glacier which ripped it apart on one side. Water began to enter six chambers at once.
There were only twenty lifeboats on the Titanic. If fully occupied, they would be able to carry only half of the people on board. More than 1,500 people died, making the sinking one of modern history’s deadliest peacetime marine disasters.
What do you think about this day?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.