The day the American Civil War ended – level 2
In the middle of the 19th century, the situation in the United States wasn’t easy. The country was divided into industrial and prosperous North and agricultural South.
The biggest problem was slavery. White Americans worked in the industrial North, but 4 million black slaves worked on the southern plantations.
The conflict began to escalate in 1860, when Abraham Lincoln became the president. He planned to stop the growth of slavery in America. The southern states didn’t like it and separated from the United States. The civil war between the North and the South began.
The war was 4 years long. On April 9, 1865, both armies met in the final battle. The North won. The civil war ended.
In December 1865, slavery was ended in the United States.
Difficult words: prosperous (rich and successful), agricultural (connected to farming), slavery (the system in which people have slaves), escalate (to become worse), civil war (a war between two groups of people in one country).
What do you think about this day?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with DAYS IN LEVELS
Days in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with Days in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two new articles article at Days in Levels every day.
- Read one previous article too and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the new article and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the new article without reading the text.
- Answer the question under the new article and write your answer in the comments.